Monday, May 18, 2015

As a thunder storm showers overhead, I'm typing in my living room, finally starting a blog! I'm really excited, and hope you all will enjoy the posts I'll be putting up, like links to useful, interesting, and entertaining information out there in the world of health and wellness. I'm currently in my third semester of studies at Maryland University of Integrative Health, as a Master of Science in Integrative Health and Nutrition student (www.muih.edu). Wow, what a world of knowledge I've just really started to touch on! It's humbling, challenging, and gives me the feeling of being a BEGINNER again...it's great and really hard at the same time. So, with that, I am posting my first blog post on Nutrition with Meghan! I look forward to your comments, questions, and interactions about this topic I am so very passionate about. 



Today I signed up for a CSA at Gorman Produce Farm in Laurel, MD! Here's their website: http://www.gormanproducefarm.com/. Because of my traveling schedule, I asked a friend to share the CSA with me, which runs from June to October. It worked out great! I'll pick up a medium share of produce once a week, each week I paid for in advance (or they have a payment plan too), and get yummy FRESH produce like:




Pre Season:Strawberries
Late Spring/ Early Summer:
Arugula, beets, bok choy, broccoli, spinach, potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, escarole, fennel, garlic scapes, green garlic, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, napa cabbage, peas, collard greens, scallions, parsley, cilantro, dandelion, red & green cabbages, spring onions, sugar snap peas, summer squash, swiss chard, radish, turnips
Mid-Summer:
Beans, beets, cherry & specialty tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, eggplant, fennel, garlic, bell peppers, hot peppers, lettuce, cantelope, watermelon, specialty melons, red - yellow - white onions, potatoes, summer squash, swiss chard, tomatoes, roma tomatoes,
Late Summer/Fall:
Arugula, beets, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celeriac, eggplant, escarole, garlic, hot peppers, kale, leeks, lettuce, melons, onions, peppers, potatoes, radicchio, scallions, summer squash, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, tomatoes,  cherry tomatoes, turnips, radish, winter squash
Last year we went strawberry picking there :)


If you sign up for the CSA, you get your own special strawberry patch to pick from! I would recommend the strawberry picking and farm stand to anyone who's not quite ready to sign up, but just wants to enjoy the farm during the summer.

FYI: CSA stands for Community-Supported Agriculture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community-supported_agriculture). To find one closest to you, use http://www.localharvest.org/. Just enter your zip code, and find all of the farms in your area. That's how I found Gorman Farm!

YOURS IN HEALTH,

Meghan


PS: If you didn't find any of this interesting, enjoy this picture: 




No comments:

Post a Comment